Thursday, May 27, 2010

Who I am, What I'm about, and Why this blog.

I thought that since I am beginning a new blog (thank goodness those xanga days are over, right?) with new readership that I should probably give you a little background on who I am, what I'm like, and how that's going to affect this blog.

So, let's start with the name. One Foot On The Earth. What's that about? Well... One foot on the ground was taken. And I'm from the post-modern age and we use the word "earth" a lot, so I figured that was an okay substitution. Basically though, I just mean to say that I am kind of an idealist.

A lot of what I write will likely be about this sense I have of how things could be. But I'm not writing to dream. I have one foot on the earth. I live here, I am a part of it. I don't live entirely in this idealistic image I have. I'm reaching for it, but my foot keeps me planted on earth. I am not like a lot of idealist dreamers, in that I believe that most of what I write actually can be acheived. Sure, I hope my writings help others to dream the dreams, but moreso I hope it will encourage others (and myself!) to enact the dreams.

So I would call myself middling between idealistic and realistic. A little heavier on the idealistic side. I think I am differentiated from other idealists because I believe not in dreaming things as they should be, but as they could be.

That's some background on my bent. Okay, onto me.

My name's Emily, I'm 20.5 (aren't people supposed to stop counting half-years by the time they get to my age?), and I'm a little non-conventional. I grew up in a military family, so I am accustomed to moving around and seeing new places and doing new things. I was also homeschooled growing up, until I attended public high school. Military, homeschooled kid, i.e. eccentric at best, a little weird at worst.

For as long as I can remember, I've been one to enjoy adventure. Doing something new excites me. Doing something unexpected especially excites me. I think I enjoy elliciting the look of shock and awe on people's faces a little too much. I thrive a bit on being contrary. I'm expected to be quiet and sheltered, I get a tattoo. I can crochet, knit, and bake. But I'm a feminist. I'm expected to be a straight-A student. Well, maybe I'm not contrary in all things.

I am most driven by the idea of understanding. More than anything I want to understand. I want to understand God, I want to understand people, I want to understand the way the world works (rather than the way it is framed to supposedly work), and I want to understand how it could work. I ask the big questions, I am discontent to accept one answer; I am awestruck by the complexity of people, of situations, and of the God that can make sense of it.

I expect you will see at the very least a trace of all this through my blogs. Some blogs will be more serious and thought provoking. Some will be general and probably quite pointless. But I want to invite you to follow my thoughts (good luck!) and to join me in asking questions, seeking answers, and engaging in the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment